BTS, otherwise known as the Bangtan Boys, is amongst the rising K-pop sensations around the world. This seven-member South Korean boy band has taken the K-pop culture to a whole new level, allowing Korean pop music to entertain a global audience.
For those of you who are not aware of K-pop, it is actually an abbreviation for Korean pop or Korean popular music. K-pop is basically a musical genre that has been created using a mix of other genres like electronic, hip-hop, rock and R&B music.
Here are a few fascinating facts about BTS that some fans might find hard to believe.
25 Amazing Facts About BTS!
- The boy band has its own Twitter emoji and has been the pioneer K-pop band and the only one so far to have received a personalized emoji on Twitter. The emoji was launched by Twitter on May 12, 2016.
- BTS has the biggest fan-run and – managed ARMY on social media. The BTS ARMY has broken the record of racking up more than a million views on one of BTS’ hits ‘Blood, Sweat, and Tears.’
- BTS is the friendliest and most easily accessible K-pop band. The boys have gone to great lengths to meet and greet fans from around the world. They also interact with their fans through Twitter, vlogs and regular live streams.
- BTS was formed by the Big Hit Entertainment company in 2012. Each member was auditioned and then finalized for BTS during 2010-2011.
- The band leader Rap Monster’s real name is Kim Nam-Joon, who performed as an underground rapper prior to joining BTS. He has collaborated with Zico as a rapper in one of his songs.
- Band members Jimin and V used to study dance together in Korea Arts High School before becoming a part of the Bangtan Boys. Jimin was initially a student at Busan High School and later transferred to Korea Arts High School to learn dance.
- BTS has made songs on serious societal issues addressing school bullying and non-conformity to certain societal norms and ideals. They have also touched upon sensitive content such as suicide, female empowerment and mental health in a few of their songs.
- BTS has been an active part of the ALLETS charity campaign known as ‘Let’s Share the Heart’ that was run in 2016. They have also donated to other charities such as 4/16 Sewol Families for Truth and A Safer Society.
- At such an early stage of their career, the Bangtan Boys have managed to receive a total of 53 awards at prestigious events such as the American Music Awards and Mnet Asian Music Awards.
- One of the band members, Suga, enjoys both rap and playing the piano. He has learned to play the piano, something he has openly confessed to his beloved fanbase in one of his interviews.
- BTS has made Japanese versions of some of their original Korean songs. They have also released 2 Japanese albums, namely ‘Wake Up’ and ‘Youth.’
- The Bangtan Boys have given their fans 29 music videos and 22 singles to date. They have also set out on 3 world tours and 4 tours within Asia.
- Bangtan Sonyeondan is Korean for ‘Bulletproof Boy Scouts.’ BTS is the English version for this. All the non-Korean fans can easily use and understand BTS.
- Suga and Rap Monster are rappers as well as songwriters and producers. This allows BTS to write and produce their own songs using the band members’ expertise. They have co-written songs with famous Korean producers like Pdogg and Slow Rabbit.
- Out of the seven band members, only 2 members – Jimin and Jungkook – use their real names. The rest of the 5 members are known by their stage names.
- BTS has managed to secure a position on the Billboards 200 and Hot 100 charts more than a couple of times with albums such as ‘Wings,’ ‘Love Yourself: Tear’ and ‘Fake Love.’
- BTS had their own variety show aired on SBS-MTV in 2013 named ‘Rookie King: Channel Bangtan’ which starred all 7 band members.
- BTS members are also huge fans of trilogies which is quite evident from their own releases like ‘Skool Luv Affair’ and ‘2 Cool 4 Skool.’ These trilogies featured songs that relate to student lives at school and the various hardships they have to undergo.
- The Bangtan Boys have been special guests on the famous ‘The Ellen DeGeneres Show’ in May 2018 where they mesmerized both Ellen and her audience with their new song ‘Fake Love.’
- The Bangtan Boys have had the honor to perform live at the American Music Awards in 2017 and is the first K-pop band to have pulled off a milestone as big as this.
- The group’s debut was on June 12, 2013, when they released their first album ‘2 Cool 4 Skool.’ The first song from this album to debut on that day was ‘No More Dream.’
- BTS was invited to witness a K-pop competition as judges in Russia during a festival where they had the opportunity to perform live for the Russian audience.
- The title track ‘Boy in Luv’ from BTS’ second mini album ‘Skool Luv Affair’ secured No. 3 ranking on Billboard’s World Album Charts in 2014.
- In 2018, the Bangtan Boys received their very first double platinum certification in Japan and 2 gold certifications in the USA. Platinum certification is given to celebrate the sale of a million copies, and gold certification signifies the sale of half a million to 500,000 copies of an album or single.
- The Bangtan Boys have not released a single English song (original) to date yet enjoy a massive fan-following across USA and Europe. However, recently, BTS has dazzled fans with Korean covers of English songs including ‘We Don’t Talk Anymore’ by Selena Gomez and Charlie Puth and Justine Bieber’s ‘2U.’
If you haven’t yet listened to one of BTS’ smashing hits, try ‘Blood, Sweat, and Tears’ and join the fanbase.
Be with BTS whenever you go by choosing any of our fantastic BTS merch.